Try tennis, try the club
Want to introduce your child to tennis?
We suggest that you visit the club one afternoon when the coach is present and introduce your child. This is a friendly way to get started. You are invited to phone the coach or Junior convenor. Contact Us.
As an adult, want to try tennis or get back into the game?
There are several very easy ways:
- Try visiting the club during a mid-week programme
- These sessions are on Tuesday and Thursday; mornings in summer (9:30 to 11:30) and afternoons in winter.
- ‘Mid-Week’ is a great place to come for good tennis, socialising and making new friends. There are lots of fun events throughout the year and there is a mid-week championship tournament. There are also mid-week inter-club teams, at different levels.
- Parents with toddlers can leave their children in the play area, which has a sandpit and is fenced, so they have fun while you play tennis. NOTE: the play area is not supervised, but is very visible from the courts and club-house.
- Try visiting the club on a Saturday afternoon ‘Social Tennis’ session
- These sessions commence at 1 pm until about 4 p.m., all year around. Just call in and introduce yourself to anyone.
- You are welcome to watch or try a game (usually played as mixed doubles). The games can range from gentle to intense and a group of 4 can usually be set up for most skill levels.
- In summer, after 4 p.m., there is a social drink and sometimes a BBQ. There is no fee for the first afternoon and often a racquet can be lent to you. Note that shoes must be suitable for the synthetic grass tennis court.
Familiar with tennis, but want to try the club?
Check out the options above or contact the Coach or Club Captain.
Avonhead Tennis has a significant number of Interclub players and has excellent results in all Divisions.